Saturday 7 December 2013

Shopping Arcade Blues


I have posted before about the two Victorian arcades in the town centre, Hepworth Arcade and Paragon Arcade. They are cosy little places with small independent retailers and built on a human scale. That was the style at the time and things are different now. In St Stephens nothing is on a human scale and there seems to be no small independent shops; they're all national or international stores from Next to H&M to the biggest Tesco's imaginable. It's all bit cold, soulless and dispiriting, a bit like those floating daleks pretending to be Christmas trees.

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the soulless and dispirited. I actually liked seeing the different shops in foreign countries when I travelled - now I can't be bothered as it's all the same and exhausting.
    Those Dalek trees are a bit unnerving, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, too. The local arcades are so much more beautiful. Long may they live.

    ReplyDelete