Saturday 17 May 2014

"Shocked to see the state of the city of Hull ..."


I've posted before about the old fruit market area around Humber Street. Nearby there's a place called Hull Art Lab which was once a potato merchant's building. Usually it's locked up but the other day the doors were open ( I suspect malfeasance). So I peeped through the gap to see what's what. Basically it's empty, as in deserted , with just these scribblings decorating the place. The writing on the floor "I was even more shocked to see the state of Hull, fires were burning everywhere" is, believe it or not, a quote from some testimony given to the BBC's WW2 People's War archive! 
I've just found out it's been closed since November 2006 and presumably standing empty for eight years. Anyhow the place is now open to the elements and naughty folks so I don't know what will become of it.




Postscript: I am reliably informed that this building, or rather the space it occupies, will be part of the centre for innovative digital companies (C4DI) that I mentioned last October (here).

2 comments:

  1. Always interesting to see what happens with abandoned buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't get much in the way of abandoned building my way, but they do make great photography subjects. Hopefully not abandoned for long and used for something useful for the community and local economy

    ReplyDelete