Sunday 12 October 2014

The Old Picture Palace

Here's the art deco-ish front of what was originally the Kinemacolour Picture Palace opened back in 1910, that title was clearly too much for Hullensians so it became the Regent and stayed open as a cinema until 1978. After a spell as a roller disco(?) it became a pub. It is now part of a chain of pubs named after a confectioner from Chester-le-Street. This place is the sort of place that has to serve beer in plastic containers to avoid the risk of serious damage in those customer-on-customer disagreements that inevitably arise in the fiery heat of teleological disputation ...


6 comments:

  1. Rather a step down from its origins, I think, but we have a building here that was once a cinema, and all that's really left of that in the frame is the name of the place. It now houses a couple of fast food joints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a similar one in my hometown as well, Williams. It began around the turn of the 20th century as a store with offices above. When I was a girl it was a roller skating palace. By the time I returned from college it was a popular [plastic cups] bar. I don't know what it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hullensian or Hullite? Which is the right one? I had always thought Hullensian but the other day spotted Hullite? At least the building avoided the wrecking ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too spotted Hullite being used by an ignorant Hull Daily Mail reporter the other day. Hullite is a mineral.

      Delete
  4. In Pasadena I use Pasadenish or Pasadenamanian, but everyone else says "from Pasadena."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess most say 'from Hull' too. Hardly anyone uses Hullensian.

      Delete