Monday 22 December 2014

"Oh look! Here comes Dick with his pussy ..."

Pub sign on Commercial Road, Hull
I don't know if it's a particularly British thing but at this time of year most towns, villages and cities will have at least one pantomime show on offer. They may have differing titles such as Cinderella, Puss in Boots, Aladdin or Dick Whittington but essentially they are just the same old morality tale of good overcoming bad. The lead male is for some reason usually played by a woman and there's usually an old dame played by a man, all for comic effect (ha ha ha). Scripts are updated, no, updated is not the word since the jokes are as old as the world, to include scurrilous comments and innuendos about current events and personalities. Filthy puns are de rigueur , the filthier the better. There is always a sing-along with the lyrics somehow displayed on stage. If your panto doesn't include a prolonged session of "Oh no it isn't!" from the stage and an audience reply of "Oh yes it is!" then you should ask for a refund ... 
The only panto I've actually been to starred, if that is the word, the Shadows at Stockton ABC that was way, way back in around 1962. I think it may have been the mental scars from this experience that put me off all things 'festive' ever since. 

3 comments:

  1. Seen many of them, always had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something like that done in Toronto this time of year, always the same guy playing a pretty ugly woman in a fairy tale adaptation.

    I like the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a British thing and he first time I was over at Christmas and was asked if I wanted to see the panto, I said yes, but had no idea what I was getting myself in for! I might have enjoyed it more if I'd known beforehand.

    ReplyDelete