Monday 9 March 2015

A word from our sponsors


A couple of Government sponsored adverts have appeared on Cottingham Road, they accompany others on TV and in newspapers in a similar vein. It is a new development, in this country, that the Government should seek to advertise like this, trying to convince us that the country is doing "Great".(War time hype excepted) It comes on the back of other advertising campaigns about the Scottish referendum and the UK's role in Afghanistan. Overall Government advertising spending has risen by 22% this year. I cannot recall anything like this particular campaign in my lifetime, maybe the pathetic "I'm backing Britain" thing in the 60's comes close but it was nothing like as widespread as this. One might almost call it propaganda. Oh and there's an election coming up in May did I forget to mention that? I expect the Government will win that again ...


1 comment:

  1. It is much the same here. Our federal government, a pack of neo-con nutbars, spends a fortune on self congratulatory "Economic Action Plan" advertising, kissing their own posterior. I keep saying to myself, "election in October, election in October.."

    ReplyDelete