Friday 18 March 2016

A room with a view


Sneaking through the new Zebedee's Yard car park the other day I came across this odd thing. It's some kind of observation platform stuck on top of a building behind the old Neptune Hotel aka Boots the chemist on Whitefriargate. I'll tempt fate and say it wouldn't be sticking my neck out too far to say that, as the building was part of the Customs and Excise extortion racket until 1912, it has some nautical connection since from up there you would have been able to see all the comings and goings on Hull's docks and the river traffic as well. A low tech version of Big Brother is watching you ... the 'security' camera is the modern version.

The weekend in black and white has crept up on us again and it's here.

6 comments:

  1. It reminds me of the top deck of a lighthouse- which has some of the same origins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There'd certainly be a great view from there. Rather a strange sight, and certainly a strange construction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to get a look inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like William Kendall I too thought it looks like the top of a lighthouse. I could imagine relaxing up there on a late afternoon with a cold beer watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting history of the place. I guess the view would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete