Saturday 26 March 2016

The Gansey Girl


On the north pier sits this recently installed (October last year) statue, the Gansey Girl, depicting a young woman knitting a traditional jumper or gansey for her fisherman sweetheart. It's part of the maritime trail which is apparently ten years old; how time flies. The sculptor was Steve Carvill.







I have since found out that the little fishes on the base carry the names of fishing families from Bridlington and nearby. If I'd known I'd have taken a close up but if you zoom in on this picture you might just be able to make out some names.

The weekend in black and white is here.

3 comments:

  1. I like it. There are some very nice details in the sculpture. In your black & white, it looks like it's been there a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely statue, well suited to black and white. What a great idea to add the family names like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this one- it has a nicely contemplative feel.

    ReplyDelete